play

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Better of

I was pubbing the other night and we were being served by a pretty waitress, being pretty I guess that comes with the job descriptions so that’s not saying much, but she was also pregnant with a baby. Although I don’t know much about pregnancy, and I have received education on such topics only though over dramatized Tamil and Hindi movies, but I could tell that her baby had been in there a while! (Her tee was kind of making way for her expanding stomach).
So we ordered drinks and being ladies and gentlemen that we are, began chatting about whether she was really pregnant or not the moment she turned her back. Her service was not good; first some guy brought the silverware, no plates though. Then the food we ordered no beer as yet. Not that we expected five star treatment from a college bar, but it was a minor case of poor service. Then she came carrying the pitcher and placed it on the table.

“I’m really sorry you guys...” she began, “ this guy was too drunk and out of control I had to deal with him ..Something something something (I still can’t get the American accent)”.
Some stupid drunk messed her up a bit, I don’t know what happened but this was not pleasant. What makes this girl work till 2 am at a bar, with people getting drunk, and “out of control” when she is pregnant? This along with the beer not being very cold made it a little sad.

We chatted about all the things people high on beer and apple martini chat about.

Expecting another friend to join us I was hoping to get the attention of someone who could get another chair for us. About the same time when my friend showed up, the waitress came along to inquire if we need to get something else, we did get something else and I blindsided by the shortage of chairs at the table asked her to get another chair. Now I don’t know if I have imagined this but she didn’t look happy about my demand, she suddenly looked tired and I noticed she had dark rings under her eyes, and her smile was much diffused. To make things worse, a group of people left and there were empty chairs few tables away, she went up there and carried a chair for us. The few steps she took with the chair was obviously not very easy, my friend took the chair form her before she had to walk to our table and thanked her.

Again I don’t know if she looked at me alone when she asked, “Is there anything else …”

Before leaving I thanked her while walking out, and mentioned that I signed the bill was at the table. I tipped her a little more than 10%.

We noticed this and my friend was like I guess I feel better of when I see people like the waitress. I agreed but I don’t know if the feeling is comfort or relief but whatever it is, the reason why it’s there is not to be happy about.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Daysleeper said...

not either one completely... i think much of this might be in my own head, maybe she was not all that upset, maybe she was having a swell time and earning a little extra cash on the side.

I don't know I have always thought of myself as having 'misplaced sensitivity'. I feel things about things that might not conjure up an emotional response in others. And sometimes when something really sad happens, I dont find myself feeling very bad about it.

So I guess this could might well have been a case of misplaced sensitivty.

6:40 PM  
Blogger VIBGYOR said...

what if this is exactly what she wanted...as in you tipping her that extra little????a very weird thought.....im surprised that i even thought so....but you never know :)

1:02 AM  
Blogger The Daysleeper said...

haha you think, she played onto my guilt!!
if thats true i guess im actually comforted!! :)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Munmun said...

I didnt get; are you thinking that tippping 10% is a great job you did to her (a pregnant lady working in a bar at 2 am); well, I guess the usual tip is 16% everywhere :P ...

4:35 PM  
Blogger The Daysleeper said...

I know I know 15 is norm.. but i tip 10% the miser that I am.. and in this case a lil more please see the point ppl!! : )

8:25 PM  
Blogger scritic said...

hey adi,

you probably felt guilty because the words "bar", "late night" and "pregnant" don't jell too well in our minds. pregnancy is this pure state of being (bringing new life into the world, etc etc) while "bars" and "late nights" are supposed to be, well, if not evil, at least a tad impure.

here's something to make you feel less guilty! think about a pregnant woman who's a store-clerk or a sales-person or even someone who drives a cab -- i'm trying to think of occupations where some physical labor is involved -- would you feel the same guilt if you encountered a pregnant woman who was one of the above? what about a pregnant non-working woman who has to do all the back-breaking chores of the house (the common case with the millions of poor women in india)?

(...and to make you feel more guilty). that said, the girl in question, may not be enjoying working at a bar filled with college drunks :). and asking her to lift the chair for you -- what were you thinking? :)

finally as regards tipping, did you know that most waiters (and waitresses) are paid hourly and after taking tipping into account? that is, it is expected that customers tip them some 20% and so their wages are often below minimum wage?

i'll stop crapping your comments now. (ps: what do you mean by typing 'yes' in my comments, bugger?)

8:14 AM  
Blogger The Daysleeper said...

harsh.. thats it, im now putting a halter around my neck! I cant take it any more!!!

1:55 PM  
Blogger shreya said...

Moral of the story: MEN ARE THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL!

4:09 PM  
Blogger The Daysleeper said...

ooohhh... someone is super opinonated about gender issues!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger $ |-| r |_| + !=! ||..!! said...

wow... dunno wat to say ter.. kinna shocked... but touched even more.. its a bad wide world...

11:20 PM  
Blogger The Daysleeper said...

@bored in life - thanks for ur post, I am glad it meant something to you.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home